Thursday, February 24, 2011

Play in the Sky

Go play in the sky,
The crisp blue, adorned with the whisps of clouds.
Let's go for a swim in the sky.
We won't be too long,
Maybe.
Or maybe we'll take all day,
floating in that sky.
So many possibilities to explore and dream.
Hear the singing in the trees, quiet at first, and then it grows.
Don't you want to join it?
Go play in the sky.
The golden sun beckons us,
We won't be too long,
maybe.
We'll come right back to this Earth at the end of the day,
maybe.
Nevermind, let's just go play in the sky.
I promise to bring you back in time for dinner,
Mom won't be too upset,
and if we're a little late, then I'll explain we were just testing the water,
and boy, was it sweet as ever.
Let's go play tag with the birds.
Listen, they're calling out.
Who knows how long the sun will shine,
Is it just today, or tomorrow too?
That is exactly why we need to go now,
Go play in the sky.

Take a leap, take a chance, take another cliche or two.
As long as you'll say you will play in the sky just a little longer.
We've seen this sky before, swam in it's waters many times before.
Hours and hours, we've played in that blue.
Do you remember the time Mom scolded us for missing the first call to eat?
I told you I would cover for you, it was my fault after all,
Instead, you ran ahead, a little further still, saying,
"What's five more minutes? Who knows if the sun will be here in the morning..."
Oh her face was red, when I said,
"Sorry, we wanted to go play a little bit longer..."
No matter how mad she got, we knew it wouldn't matter, if the sun returned tomorrow,
We would back up there with it.

We spent so many long afternoons in that play ground.
The sky was our place. The hours stretched into days, and finally months.
Eventually we decided the sunsets were just as fun as the afternoon blue.
Once or twice, we took a trip around the moon and the stars.
Orion had company.

Finally the sky began to grow cold, and less and less would the birds sing in the blue.
The days grew shorter and shorter, and even the nights were too cold to invite us out.
You began to fall back to your fear of your mom. She scolded, you listened,
Suppertime was no longer the only time you left for.
No longer would you say,
"Five more minutes."

Eventually, I was the only one to go play in the sky,
Not even the birds would come out to play.
More clouds covered the sky, and soon the warm drops turned to ice.
Playing in the sky turned to,
Sitting and thinking in the sky.
Thoughts I always pushed away when you were near.
Now that you're far, these thoughts have become my only company,
And I am left alone to think them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I no longer play in the sky, only on the ground.
The rest of the world moves around, and sometimes I join the game.
I look to the sky from time to time and think of those days we played.

Once upon a time, I thought I saw you there,
beckoning another to go play with you.
Maybe it was a trick of my mind.
Maybe not.


To be honest, I hope it was, and that the sky is still only a place for you and me,
but if this is not the case, as well may be,
Then fine.
I'll retreat back into my memories.
And let you live your life as you will, sharing the sky with another.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time to go play in the sky.
Time for a swim in the sky.
Just me and the birds,
Feel the sun on my face, warm the air around.
I'll be back in time for dinner,
Maybe.
Though, don't be shocked if I ask for just five more minutes.
When I'm scolded, I'll simply say,
I wanted five more minutes in my sky,
Be happy I came back at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go play in the sky, before its too late.
The time you have is precious and short.
For who knows what tomorrow may bring.
The tides are coming in, and if you're not careful, they may sweep you away.
Maybe I'll follow the sun into another sky, leave all this behind.

The birds are calling again, they miss those days too,
So long ago.
Maybe it's time I make new memories.

Playing in another sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment